Thursday, June 15, 2006

Trifold Knitter's Bowl





Well~ Where have I been? I know, I've more excuses than a knitter has stash -- but, this one's another good one! Honest! I did myself an injury. Yup. I did exactly what I tell everyone not to do. I worked several large projects in a row -- on a single needle size and didn't incorporate any crochet to break it up. Let's just say I was not a happy camper for two weeks when I forced myself to go cold turkey and didn't pick up a knitting needle or crochet hook at all! Well, not for longer than a few minutes each day to see if I could manage without pain. If I couldn't -- and I couldn't -- I'd stop and pout in a most adult fashion. ;) So! Then I started working very small amounts. And trying to avoid my arch nemesis -- size 10 1/2. Which is what I used to make two sweaters, a very long wide scarf, a blanket, two felted mobei etc. I've failed. I'm using it to make this really, really cool Trifold Knitter's Bowl which is in A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting by Cat Bordhi. It's gonna (assuming it works out ok) be feltd and then live on a lazy susan and be in the center of the table here at the Yarn Shoppe for all the Shoppe's tools and pens. Cool eh?






Here I am -- well, ok, the basket -- with the moebius completed. Yellow strands oh so attractively scattered inside are waste yarn ends. You can see ( I hope) the three twists that makes this a trifold moebius. Yup. Just ONE edge. Way cool.








Ok, so this is where I was by the time I came in to work Saturday. The yellow lines aren't decoration. They're waste stitches to hold the places for the six pockets that come in later. I'm using Araucania Nature Wool which is a gorgeous kettle dyed wool. Isn't it scrumptious? I carefully choose skeins that had maximum variation.







Now here I was before I went home for the weekend Saturday. This is about 2.5 hours of knitting time.








I did the pockets over Tuesday and Wednesday and just a shade into today (Thursday), as well as finishing the bowl part on Tuesday.

You can still see the moebius.














Ok, now I've got a petal done! It's one flap out of three that will sorta cover the bowl. I hope to finish the other two flaps today, but I'm knitting hard and fast -- another no-no as I can feel some pressure in my left elbow. But I will crochet tonight, and that makes it all good, right? :)










So that's all for now, folks! I'll try to post more often on projects. Especially when I finish this one and come up for air. No promises on gifts though. Those do be on secret, need to know basis only, me dears. Or, just come in the Shoppe!!

No comments: