Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holiday Season's Cheer

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa! Happy and Merry anything you happen to celebrate! Happy Holidays!

The most cheerful thing about the holidays is the satisfaction of getting everything done on time. Be it gifts, decorating or whatever.

Or, failing that -- as most of us do -- giving the recipient a promise of the finished object in a not too terribly distant future. Some do this with a card -- with maybe a photo of the item in progress. Or the thing, on needles (or hook) in box which is then promptly snatched back. I also like getting cards out -- even if it is in mid February (although mine did get out on time this year). I did flail on getting lights out at home though. I have decided, after much thought, to blame my cats :) I think using them as a scapegoat is brilliant because they don't read this blog and can't defend themselves -- even if they could type. You see, they destroyed part of my fiber optic christmas tree last year. They are apparently trying to finish the job this year. So my husband and I decided against ornaments. And there is something mildly disheartening about a fiber optic tree, all the lower branches hanging limp and broken with no ornaments. So, we did not buy the hooks to attach on our front roof eaves until late and naturally, that meant lights didn't go up. They are sitting on a chair in my library. In the same tangle they were in when my father helped me take them down and dumped 'em in a pile in my shed outside.

The next most cheerful thing is food. Lots of good smelling food. Hopefully good tasting as well.

Then family. Family is great, but sometimes, for some families, they are much better long distance :-)

Having been married for just under a year, I get my first Christmas with both my parents and my new inlaws. It should be a blast. Especially since I'm not hosting and I can sit around, knit, talk and have fun while not looking at clocks and sweating in the kitchen. Afterall, I did that for Thanksgiving!

And just what have I been knitting? Socks, naturally. Off and on. I've found that worsted weight wool socks fit inside my Danskos just fine and nearly keep my frozen footsies warm. Fingering weight tries very hard, but doesn't seem to work quite so well in the colder months. I still love 'em in Fall, Spring and Summer. Well, the week and half that are Spring and Fall around here. Assuming they last that long.

The latest finished project is on my head. It's a hat. And yes, it looks better on this model than it looks on me :)

Edit from 12/21/06: Not sure if I made it clear -- this pic is from www.fibertrends.com and is their picture of the Swirls Hat. It's a great picture too, isn't?

This is going to be our class for the end of January. It's a Fiber Trends pattern -- Swirls Hat. It was so much fun to knit! Anyway, I plan on going over Fair Isle tips and techniques, and the really cool looking braids -- they're created by purling and handling the yarns differently on two rows. Very, very fun.

She still looks better than I do, though.

I'll post a pic of me wearing the thing (I should really get paid more for this kind of thing -- mass humiliation and all) when the camera comes back from wherever it is at the moment.

I did use the same colors, though. I loved 'em too much. I don't generally ever use the same colors. I think the holidays are getting to me.

What else have I been working on? Well, I finished up a cute felted bag for a class later this month. And an Entralac Purse which was for another class. And a pair or two of socks. Then gifts, naturally which I will not go into here.

I think the most annoying thing about Holidays is that even if you are all set, planned, decorated whatever, something always comes up that needs to be scrambled about. A sudden gift exchange. People suddenly appearing and needing food or gifts. The ambient stress in the air that can make even the calm people tired and irritable.

So here's to everyone having Good Holiday Times. With decreased stress. With finished projects. With good fiber, food, family and friends.
~Briony

No comments: